2022 Roster Discussion

I am actually serious about the Gundogan possibility. His contract expires in 2023 and I doubt City lets him play it out to lose trasnfer value. He has not been extended, and at 31 is near the end of his time at City as an attacker. He has a good relationship with CFG - why not stay in the family?

Maxi arrived when he was 30 and this, in all likelihood, is his last year. I expect the NYCFC model to look for a DP replacement for him. If not Gundogan, I would scout age 30/31 attacking midfielders in Europe playing in a top league. That will allow the team to continue with a veteran spine (similar to Johnson, Chanot, Callens, Maxi) and young South American attackers.

Pogba is the right age, but won't leave Europe. Dybala and Dembele are too young. Mata, Modric , and Mertens are too old.

Maybe Isco?

I am actually serious about the Gundogan possibility. His contract expires in 2023 and I doubt City lets him play it out to lose trasnfer value. He has not been extended, and at 31 is near the end of his time at City as an attacker. He has a good relationship with CFG - why not stay in the family?

Maxi arrived when he was 30 and this, in all likelihood, is his last year. I expect the NYCFC model to look for a DP replacement for him. If not Gundogan, I would scout age 30/31 attacking midfielders in Europe playing in a top league. That will allow the team to continue with a veteran spine (similar to Johnson, Chanot, Callens, Maxi) and young South American attackers.

Pogba is the right age, but won't leave Europe. Dybala and Dembele are too young. Mata, Modric , and Mertens are too old.

Maybe Isco?

gundogan would be fantastic. but i think his quality is still so high, they will resign him for at least 1 or 2 more years. if not, there are other teams in europe that would gladly sign him. he doesn't start every game cause he's at man city.

it really depends if HE wants to play in MLS and i've never seen anything where he's expressed that desire. but yea.. if we can sign him as a maxi replacement for 4 years... i'd take him.

Reactions: KevinJRogers

Maybe Isco?
That's definitely intriguing. Gündogan would be a great addition. The math and timing works out really well, too.

gundogan would be fantastic. but i think his quality is still so high, they will resign him for at least 1 or 2 more years. if not, there are other teams in europe that would gladly sign him. he doesn't start every game cause he's at man city.

it really depends if HE wants to play in MLS and i've never seen anything where he's expressed that desire. but yea.. if we can sign him as a maxi replacement for 4 years... i'd take him.
Took a quick search and found this -- he says he likes the States but "isn't thinking about it" (which means he's thinking about it plenty if someone throws a number out LOL): Ilkay Gundogan opens up on future and namechecks two potential destinations (msn.com)

He’s not a starting 9 for a trophy winning club

sure he can co tribute

He’s not a starting 9 for a trophy winning club

sure he can co tribute

I think I agree with this. If Taty leaves, it's gonna have to be Talles at the 9. Heber off the bench or on the wing, though I'm not sure he'd really work on the wing. I think the attacking four at the end of the year will be Thiago, Talles, Pereira, Santi with Maxi at the 6.

Reactions: Kjbert and Sabo
I think I agree with this. If Taty leaves, it's gonna have to be Talles at the 9. Heber off the bench or on the wing, though I'm not sure he'd really work on the wing. I think the attacking four at the end of the year will be Thiago, Talles, Pereira, Santi with Maxi at the 6.
I generally agree, although I am also not sure what Thiago is giving us at this point, other than pace.

Reactions: Kjbert