2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

At least this guy is 21. I can see it if we sell Talles this summer. I kind of expect us to sell him since he hasn't played all year. Feel like the roster needs more on the backline, but I'll never say no to an exciting offensive prospect.
Who is buying Talles? He's been injured and just on the bench.

The CFG shell game! Send him to another sister club for a change of pace and scenery. I thought that was the whole point of the network, one big ole Ponzi scheme

Reactions: Joe_Cos

Didn't Bologna want him as recently as six months ago? He's been injured, but the talent is still there. A player with his talent at his age will always have a market.

The CFG shell game! Send him to another sister club for a change of pace and scenery. I thought that was the whole point of the network, one big ole Ponzi scheme
Yokohama owes us for Martins, right? (jokes, people)

Talles Magno expresses a desire to leave this summer.

I can't blame him. I don't know what's going on. The current situation is not good either for him or the club.

this is very sad and mind boggling to me. it's not his fault he was forced into a 9 position experiment which didn't pan out. It's not his fault there was no true #9 to play off of. It just seems like he got stuffed into the dog house because of the club's poor planning and execution and they don't want to admit they were wrong by playing him back on the wing.

The guy is undoubtedly talented and with sufficient minutes, he could be a strong contributor for us. He doesn't have the speed of Jones, but I think his soccer IQ is higher with regards to where he needs to be and creating something in the attack.

He was someone i enjoyed watching. I don't blame him for wanting a move and sounds like nick does not have him in his plans at all. Kinda crazy.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
this is very sad and mind boggling to me. it's not his fault he was forced into a 9 position experiment which didn't pan out. It's not his fault there was no true #9 to play off of. It just seems like he got stuffed into the dog house because of the club's poor planning and execution and they don't want to admit they were wrong by playing him back on the wing.

The guy is undoubtedly talented and with sufficient minutes, he could be a strong contributor for us. He doesn't have the speed of Jones, but I think his soccer IQ is higher with regards to where he needs to be and creating something in the attack.

He was someone i enjoyed watching. I don't blame him for wanting a move and sounds like nick does not have him in his plans at all. Kinda crazy.

Fernandez was horrible last night he just runs up and down the sideline with no understanding of anything going on around him. With Maxi on the field trying to create through link-up play, we would have been better off with Santi at RW and Magno coming in at LW instead of Fernandez.

Speaking of substitutions why on earth did we not sub O'toole last night? The guy is just coming back from injury, clearly wasn't at full speed and we played him an entire game. Is the plan just to run him into the ground until he gets hurt again? McFarlane looked more than capable in his last appearance. Are we under some kind of strict instructions from CFG to use McFarlane as little a possible to make sure he doesn't get injured pre-transfer?

Reactions: moogoo
This is the mystery for me. If we want a fast-passing oriented attack, he is a great fit for it. Could it be the move to Bologna has been a done deal for a while and everyone is just waiting for window alignment?

If he does go, I'm going to miss him. And not just as a player. The pics of him styling in Times Square like a soccer version of Clyde Frazier were alone worth the price of admission. He clearly loves New York.

This is the mystery for me. If we want a fast-passing oriented attack, he is a great fit for it. Could it be the move to Bologna has been a done deal for a while and everyone is just waiting for window alignment?

If he does go, I'm going to miss him. And not just as a player. The pics of him styling in Times Square like a soccer version of Clyde Frazier were alone worth the price of admission. He clearly loves New York.

The fact that both Magno and Jovan don't play makes me suspect that Nick has drawn a line in the sand and said if you don't give effort in the press you don't play. Given how little effort both have given in games I can't imagine that they are pressing with the expected intensity in practice.

The fact that both Magno and Jovan don't play makes me suspect that Nick has drawn a line in the sand and said if you don't give effort in the press you don't play. Given how little effort both have given in games I can't imagine that they are pressing with the expected intensity in practice.

Jovan definitely seems more like a poacher, fox in the box kind of striker than a combination and high press type. why did we sign him if he's not going to play the style we want to play and just have him languish on the bench and lose value? it doesn't make sense to me. Was this an error on Lee/Nick's part to bring him in? or did Jovan say "sure i can do that" and in the end, just isn't motivated to....?

just a waste again for another expensive signing.

This sounds like a very reasonable explanation.
Jovan definitely seems more like a poacher, fox in the box kind of striker than a combination and high press type.
Definitely his game. Which is one of the reasons I thought Nick might be thinking of using him with Talles Magno on the wing when the tactics called for less pressing and more deliberate possession play. But it hasn't happened. At least not yet.

I believe there is a place for Magno on the squad as an alternate style of wing to the those that regularly start. Ojeda, Jones, Fernandez are all of the same mold, and Wolf is half wing/half 10. If the team needs to break a low block, I'd think Magno would be better suited to the task than any of the speedsters.

That noted, if the bridge is burnt and it is time for him to move onto another team, I would hope it happens this summer. Forward depth is relatively strong. If we bring in a corresponding piece, I would hope it is a centerback. Gray/Ilenic/O'Toole/MacFarlane should be enough to survive, but centerback is a sneaky weakness. I hope Risa grows, but I would love to see a "thicker" CB that might be able to get a head on a set piece or two.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
I believe there is a place for Magno on the squad as an alternate style of wing to the those that regularly start. Ojeda, Jones, Fernandez are all of the same mold, and Wolf is half wing/half 10. If the team needs to break a low block, I'd think Magno would be better suited to the task than any of the speedsters.

That noted, if the bridge is burnt and it is time for him to move onto another team, I would hope it happens this summer. Forward depth is relatively strong. If we bring in a corresponding piece, I would hope it is a centerback. Gray/Ilenic/O'Toole/MacFarlane should be enough to survive, but centerback is a sneaky weakness. I hope Risa grows, but I would love to see a "thicker" CB that might be able to get a head on a set piece or two.

Not to mention it frees up a DP spot

I will say that I am pretty fucking unhappy that things didn’t work with him. He was terrific his first 18 months.
This.

I remember posing the question, "If you could sign Magno or Taty for the rest of their career, which would you choose?" My vote had been for Magno, because even though Taty had proven more at that point, Magno seemed like he had a significantly higher ceiling given his age.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

I agree we would do better with another CB than forward. But Talles is a DP. I'm OK with waiting to the next window to get the right DP (though more might be available in the summer) but I'm not sure we have the cap space for another CB without using the DP base pay and slot.

Ah, the Ronny - Mitrita situation

meh, wasn't this exact rumor floating around at this time last year?. Take it with an ocean of salt:

GOOGLE TRANSLATE:

Vasco da Gama is interested in repatriating striker Talles Magno. When consulting with New York City, the possibility became complicated, as the MLS team asks for between 10 and 15 million euros.

Remembering that Juventus, from Italy, is also interested.

SOURCE: ‘UOL Esporte’