Crew Postmatch

Today was a very dirty game and the ref missed a lot of calls.

- Iraola got wrecked, the foul was called on Columbus but no card.
- A Columbus player shoved themselves into Villa's chest putting him on the floor, something you would see in the NFL, no foul, and no card.
This ref was utter shit. We had a clear breakaway he let be stopped with an NFL tackle that would end in suspension. Play on, says the asshole.

Got the win that's what matters right now that bye, I'm glad that I won't have to go weekday game.

Also anyone notice the dude holding up confederate flag( or at least it looked like it) behind city beats during half time

you have to watch and see PV's reactions after the last 3 goals. Love that guy.
At the post-match presser he said his second half substitutions were largely inspired by the result he saw unfolding with the TOR v CHI match. When TOR started winning, PV said he thought "we have nothing to lose" and threw on attacking subs (Lampard, with two assists, was obviously a game-changer, as was the switch back to a 4 3 3 after he came on). Then when we were solidly up 3-1 he felt confident to go 5 at the back and ride it out.

This went a long way toward addressing the question I asked him at City In The Boroughs: Queens about whether he felt he was tactically flexible enough during matches. In this match he felt free to be flexible (if that wasn't already obvious from the starting XI and formation), and though it took a long time to pay off it did pay off.

I did feel that our attack suffered a lot from what seemed like too much desire to play Villa in as an attempt to win him the Golden Boot. We could have done with more shots simply taken in the first half.

Despite CLB creating some chances they shouldn't have been able to create, on the whole I was impressed with how quickly we transitioned into a defensive shape. Decent discipline. Eirik felt to me like he emanated so much more calm than we usually have between the sticks.

I liked the 3 at the back, but to really play it we need another Mata for the wing. I like RJ, but as an attacking fullback / winger he's no Mata. Maybe that should be a priority for the off-season, bringing in Mata II for this formation, or retraining Khiry to play that position. Also, no more repurposing Iraola as a CB. He did okay, but that's not where we want or need him.

What a season! What a rollercoaster to go from last year to nearly winning the regular season East (if only those two matches against RBNJ had been wins or draws...) this year. Despite our obvious flaws I'm so proud of this team.

On to the playoffs! If we're away to DC next I'll do my best to be there.

Anyone else notice John Steven Mendoza annouced during the starting 11 on the video board before the game?
I did. That was weird.

And like Keith Putnam Keith Putnam 'a analysis. Disagree with conclusion. I think Iraola being in the back three was massively helpful even in the first half. Even when he's taken away, the other team is expending defenders. That frees everyone.

Also, Lurch can hit a 30 yard pass. So it makes sense to have a quality short option that opens others up further downfield.

Things I liked and didn't like:

- Allen's cross field ball on the first goal and Harrison's through ball on the third goal were two of the best passes I think I've seen all year in the non-Pirlo division.

- It was fun to finally see EJ play a real game. I thought he looked good, though this wasn't the most robust test of the places where we have struggled the most given the limited pressure from Columbus. I am beyond curious to see what PV does in the first playoff game. That was just a weird time to finally give him a run out given the import of that match (the MLS stats on teams who play in the knock-out round making it to MLS Cup are pretty stark).

- Didn't like how much we ground we ceded in the midfield even with Bravo in there, particularly in the first 45. Not a good game for Pirlo on either side of the ball.

- That Villa chip was so sublime and audacious that it was almost like whoever controls such things (insert your favorite deity or scientific principle) just decided it was too impossible for it to go in.

- Before the game, the scoreboard which provides the text as the PA announcer is going through the lineup listed our favorite central defender as Max Jim Shanu. That was just funny. At least to me. Clearly the software needs to be updated to account for the European players in soccer.

- And, most of all, I like that we'll be watching playoff soccer for at least the next two weekends.

I like the new shape. Really impressed by Vieira's flexibility. It's hard to tell just how well it worked, or how Eirik played with the ball at his feet though, given that Columbus didn't press us at all. There's still some room for improvement (unsurprisingly) in this shape though – I don't know how well Pirlo and Bravo knew how to time their runs, and I think Iraola had a lot to learn about playing in that sweeper position. He was still trying to win the ball rather than contain and it got us into some hairy situations. Eirik's positioning was excellent though. It's also a ton of fun seeing Mendoza and Harrison play narrow, which they both seem to prefer, and seeing Villa that well supported. All in all, I wouldn't be mad if we played this system in the playoffs.

We did see one weakness on the new formation, and that was on their goal. Iraola was left in the middle to mark Kamara and totally flubbed it. I don't like him being the only guy in position to track strikers on crosses, which is a risk with him as a sweeper.

Absolutely lost it for the second half goals. About as emotional as I've ever got watching this team. So much love.

(That said, anyone else think Pirlo was absolutely shocking today? We looked miles better after he came off)

I thought Pirlo was okay. Not his best day passing, as had a few picked off here and there, but he had a couple of nice ones that just didn't convert. I do think he had an effective game defensively with several nice steals.

At the risk of having my credentials yanked, I want to pump the brakes on the Eirik hype train a little bit. I do think he was a cut above Saunders today (although I do not think that was true of his U.S. Open Cup start). I do think he might have done better on the Colombus goal, and he definitely should have stopped the Columbus goal around the 80th minute that was wrongly waived off for offside.

So, I think the jury is still out, and while I would probably go with Eirik, I think it is far from clear.

We haven't talked much about MOTM - Jack was a good shout. I'd have been fine with Mendoza, too. That kid played his ass off tonight. I really like him pinched in.
I hadn't thought much about MOTM, but totally agree on Mendoza playing more centrally (either as a central player or tucked in) generally. I have really liked what I've seen from him in that role since PV first did it in early Sept.

Matarrita was possessed last night. He was a step faster than his usual blazing speed, including a couple of plays where there is no possible way he should have saved the ball from crossing the sidelines.

And Chanot is solidly confident in the back, a few times even bossing the pressing forward with a pretty sick cut back, prompting some oohs and ahs.

I was additionally pleased that Villa was somehow able to get that first goal cross through to Mendoza because it was very frustrating before that seeing the CC defenders somehow get their heads on every cross and cleanly block every shot in the box. Their D was positioned so well for most of the first half.