Official Nycfc In The Media Thread 2015

Managed to catch most of this on the TV tonight. I actually found the part where Hal brought up going to our opener and how many 20 and 30 somethings were there and the energy level when he was asked about the rule changes to speed up baseball and what he thought about attracting younger people to Yankee games was more interesting than when they asked him about the field.

Reactions: LostAnvil
Managed to catch most of this on the TV tonight. I actually found the part where Hal brought up going to our opener and how many 20 and 30 somethings were there and the energy level when he was asked about the rule changes to speed up baseball and what he thought about attracting younger people to Yankee games was more interesting than when they asked him about the field.
Interesting and important point. A good showing by a young crowd may make him realize that this could be a really smart investment for the future, if the club is run correctly.

Reactions: LostAnvil
Yeah it's funny because Canizarro wrote a piece I didn't like a few days before the home opener but he seems to have come around since then. The Times article seems to be completely dismissive of a "soccer sellout" despite the fact that it's the stadium capping so what can we do? Also pretty sure if we average 27 K it would put us near the top of league average attendance. Can't imagine too many teams besides Seattle or Portland beat that number..

Reactions: Gene
Also pretty sure if we average 27 K it would put us near the top of league average attendance. Can't imagine too many teams besides Seattle or Portland beat that number..

Portland's stadium holds max 22,000, so 27k is a pipedream to them....

Yeah it's funny because Canizarro wrote a piece I didn't like a few days before the home opener but he seems to have come around since then.

I remember that particular piece and it kind of pissed me off too. After reading yesterday's article, I emailed Cannizzaro to provide some feedback. He was nice enough to reply and as it turns out he might prove to be a pretty good friend to NYCFC.
Gene

Thanks very much for the kind words. It is indeed a bit of an
uphill climb to get soccer in the paper with such a crowded landscape of
local teams we cover at The Post.

As someone who played the game in college and has
an interest in the game, I am somewhat of a minority on our staff. I will
continue to cover when I can in between the other things I regularly cover.
And, in the meantime, my colleague Brian Lewis does a very good job with
the day to day goings on with both Red Bulls and NYCFC

Thanks very much for reading.

Mark c

Sent from my iPhone

I know I keep beating this war drum to death, but personally I really think it's important to provide these guys with some kind of feedback after they do a piece on NYCFC. Letting these guys know there's a following out there for NYCFC will only lead to more media coverage.

Last edited:
Portland's stadium holds max 22,000, so 27k is a pipedream to them....

Yep. MLS is severely underbuilding its stadiums. Only a couple of SSS can reach up to 27K. Most fall well short and some, like Portland, could sell many more tickets if they had the capacity.

That dynamic is only going to increase with the league's popularity.

Reactions: edurban
I remember that particular piece and it kind of pissed me off too. After reading yesterday's article, I emailed Cannizzaro to provide some feedback. He was nice enough to reply and as it turns out he might prove to be a pretty good friend to NYCFC.

I know I keep beating this war drum to death, but personally I really think it's important to provide these guys with some kind of feedback after they do a piece on NYCFC. Letting these guys know there's a following out there for NYCFC will only lead to more media coverage.
And on the other side let's not get oversensitive to every bit of negativity, and correspondingly not berate them for such things over much. The NY Times article above that some were bothered by isn't exactly wrong. The atmosphere was much less electric. And that was inevitable. Now yes it would have been more positive for them to write the same facts playing up that 1. our regular game attendance is high by soccer standards especially in the US, and 2. the fans were still buzzed, albeit at a lesser intensity than the opener, but I wouldn't kill them for going more negative. I'm not slamming anyone here, btw. All folks did was express disappointment at the tone, not slam them, but if we are going to contact them I think it's best to present positive tones ourselves. So if they write something good compliment them, if they write something a bit negative maybe than them for the coverage while offering an alternative take.

Gene I totally agree. I will do my part and be sure to provide positive feedback when I see NYCFC coverage.......

Reactions: edurban and Gene