NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2022

It was recently reported that his current contract will be reworked.
This is where I saw it.

Auto translate:
New York City FC decided not to sell Taty Castellanos despite her desire.
*️⃣ He has already informed River and the soccer player of the decision.
* ⃣ The millionaire's last offer was for US$11,500,000 to be paid in installments.
* ⃣ The contract will be improved and a sale to Europe will be sought in June.

As the ET guys speculate, even if the plan is to sell in a few months, a bigger contract makes him happier while he's here. And if we start paying him $3M, as they speculate, that provides heft to larger fee demands. And it also provides a better base for his salary demands.

ETA - I admit I was surprised by the report, but I guess there is some logic to it. OTOH, I would not be surprised if this guy has sources regarding the negotiations, but he might still just be speculating about the new contract.

Also, I found this via MLS Buzz which is a solid follow:

Last edited:

Attachments

• DD05E4C2-7F5F-415F-BE7B-BA2A1AD56042.jpeg
    DD05E4C2-7F5F-415F-BE7B-BA2A1AD56042.jpeg
    679.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Wow
Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
MLS preview on CBS. Ian's side gig (?). we are +900 odds to win MLS cup this year tied with LAFC (lol). Revs are favorites again and then Seattle. Short blurb on us.. not a long discussion.

MLS preview on CBS. Ian's side gig (?). we are +900 odds to win MLS cup this year tied with LAFC (lol). Revs are favorites again and then Seattle. Short blurb on us.. not a long discussion.

In looking at the Turner numbers, that team is going to struggle the second half of the year. He was worth something like 24 points last year?

Every time I see the Callens PK it makes me smile. People have razzed his celebration but I find it incredibly endearing. The other funny thing about it is how Taty goes to grab Alex but Callens "evades the tackle" and Taty ends up on the fringe of the mob that envelopes Callens.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
Every time I see the Callens PK it makes me smile. People have razzed his celebration but I find it incredibly endearing. The other funny thing about it is how Taty goes to grab Alex but Callens "evades the tackle" and Taty ends up on the fringe of the mob that envelopes Callens.

Never question how much it means to players. Callens lost all control of his extremities. It was awesome.

I need to watch the clip but I wouldn’t say it’s embedded in the fabric, yet. You can casually say you’re going to the Knicks game or Rangers game or Jets, Giants, Nets, etc. and people will know what you’re talking about. Honestly when I talk to people for the first time and I say soccer in New York sometimes they first say back Red Bulls. That’s just due to time and being in the area longer and the more possibility to have gone to a game in that time. After I say, no it’s actually New York City FC, they ask where do they play? Once we have a stadium, that’s going to be an easier conversation. Oh, that new stadium built? That’s you guys? Yeah, it is.

Another anecdote: It was a struggle getting a bar outside in December 2020 to play MLS Cup, of course that was Seattle vs Columbus, but still, bar outside in winter during the pandemic. Game was on FOX, big FOX. They had an available TV.

I need to watch the club but I wouldn’t say it’s embedded in the fabric, yet. You can casually say you’re going to the Knicks game or Rangers game or Jets, Giants, Nets etc and people will know what you’re talking about. Honestly when I talk to people for the first time and I say soccer in New York sometimes they first say back Red Bulls. That’s just due to time and being in the area longer and the more possibility to have gone to a game in that time. After I say, no it’s actually New York City FC, they ask where do they play? Once we have a stadium, that’s going to be an easier conversation. Oh, that new stadium built? That’s you guys? Yeah, it is.

Another anecdote: It was a struggle getting a bar outside in December 2020 to play MLS Cup, of course that was Seattle vs Columbus, but still. They had an available TV.

I understood his story as he WANTS the club/team to be embedded in the fabric of NYC the way FC barca is in barcelona and other big european teams are in their respective countries and the kid and father example is how it is starting to happen.

having our own stadium will definitely help with awareness and visibility. the world cup in 2026 will too. as MLS grows, so will the popularity of the team.

from the same press conf, Lee says:

“We have a lot of belief in our roster plus adding Thiago, who we think is an important signing for us. When you have success, you have to make some changes because it adds some freshness. We’re also not finished. There’s probably another couple of players we want to add to our group before the end of the transfer window.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
I need to watch the clip but I wouldn’t say it’s embedded in the fabric, yet. You can casually say you’re going to the Knicks game or Rangers game or Jets, Giants, Nets, etc. and people will know what you’re talking about. Honestly when I talk to people for the first time and I say soccer in New York sometimes they first say back Red Bulls. That’s just due to time and being in the area longer and the more possibility to have gone to a game in that time. After I say, no it’s actually New York City FC, they ask where do they play? Once we have a stadium, that’s going to be an easier conversation. Oh, that new stadium built? That’s you guys? Yeah, it is.

Another anecdote: It was a struggle getting a bar outside in December 2020 to play MLS Cup, of course that was Seattle vs Columbus, but still, bar outside in winter during the pandemic. Game was on FOX, big FOX. They had an available TV.

there were also 3,000 fans in Manhattan at a watch party. I think you're underestimating the growth this team is experiencing. It's certainly not as big as the legacy leagues, but people know who we are. The fanbase is growing, and I think it's growing fairly rapidly.

I'm actually fascinated to see what attendance looks like this season; I bet it's much higher than it was the last few years.

there were also 3,000 fans in Manhattan at a watch party. I think you're underestimating the growth this team is experiencing. It's certainly not as big as the legacy leagues, but people know who we are. The fanbase is growing, and I think it's growing fairly rapidly.

I'm actually fascinated to see what attendance looks like this season; I bet it's much higher than it was the last few years.

ive noticed more people in the nycfc reddit if that means anything lol.

in terms of growing maybe some of the kids or young teens that were there in 2015 are now growing up are in their teens or early 20's and probably bring in their buddies with them too and more people know of the team etc. and its not just a family outing. they too are growing with the team.

I spoke to a new coworker who watches soccer and I told him I watch NYCFC and I said I'd be happy to go with him to some games. He was definitely aware about the cup win. I think we'll see a spike, if even small. Looking at ticketmaster right now for opening game, it looks like almost all are resale. Numbers look similar on the philadelphia game as well.
1645798279587.png

CCL review:

Galaxy v NYCFC preview (mostly about galaxy):

it seems like all the media writeups about us this year essentially assume we're going to be a powerhouse team, list a few players to watch, and then that's it. not much in depth discussion. it's different from last year's early season talks but i guess that's ok.

Last edited: